August 2007


I have finally written out a pattern for the chevron scarf I knit ages ago because a few people have been asking me about it. It’s really simple even though it looks quite complicated.

Abbreviations

Kfb: increase one stitch by knitting in the front and back loops of the same stitch.

Psso: pass the slipped stitch over the last knit stitch(es).

 

Chevron Stitch Pattern

Row 1: k2, *kfb, k4, sl1 knitwise, k2 tog, psso, k4, kfb; repeat from * twice, end with k2.

Row 2: k2, p39, k2.

 

Instructions

CO 43 sts

Row 1: k all

Rows 2 and 3: do chevron stitch pattern.

Row 4 onwards: repeat chevron stitch pattern until happy with the length of your scarf, ending with row 1 of chevron stitch pattern.

Last row: k all.

BO

 

Note: I used six colours and did six rows of the chevron stitch pattern in each colour, except the light green where I only did two rows.

I have finished my first ever Jaywalker and have already faithfully cast on for the second. It fits me perfectly and it’s so warm! I now completely understand why everyone loves Jaywalkers so much. On my first attempt I was knitting too tightly so I had to frog but second time around I got the tension perfect. Also, I love the way the colours come out!

The yarn is Lana Grossa Meilenweit Multiringel in 5030. The pattern is, of course, Jaywalkers by Magknits.

 

Yay! I have finally finished a few of my projects even though it seems I never finish any of them. Anyway, onto the pictures…


This is the Short ‘n Sweet from The Happy Hooker and I made it using a 400g/14oz skein (approx 655m/710yds) of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton in Baby Blue (100% cotton) and I still have about half of it left. I made it exactly as the pattern said except I shortened the sleeves by four rows. I do like it but the cotton was cheap so it’s not that comfortable and it’s heavy. The whole thing took me about three days although I haven’t blocked it yet.If I made it again I’d use something much softer and lighter like acrylic – maybe Caron Simply Soft. Also, I’d use a stronger colour. All the best Short ‘n Sweets that I’ve seen posted on Craftster are in strong colours. Anyway, I recommend the pattern!

Next is my very first pair of socks. I didn’t have any fingering weight yarn so I used two skeins of Bernat Natural Blends Cashmere (65% acrylic, 30% nylon, 5% cashmere; 94m/103yds per 60g skein). I think they came out quite well and although they’re too bulky to wear with shoes, they’re really comfortable so I can wear them around the house. I used the Easy Worsted Socks pattern (pdf) and I’m very pleased with them although the ribbing is too loose so they refuse to stay up.

 

And last, but not least, my Saturday Market Bag using the alterations from Disdressed. I used Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (100% cotton; 73m/80yds per 50g skein) in Ivory and I think I used about one and a half skeins. The pattern is very easy and is a really fast knit so I definitely recommend it. The bag is wonderfully stretchy and fits loads in it!

A few days ago I received a package from Little Knits who are having a massive sale at the moment.

From the left: three balls of Cascade Fixation #5398, two balls of Regia Crazy Colour #5260, five balls of King Cole Big Value DK in Golden Mustard and one ball of Lana Grossa Meilenweiten Multiringel #5030.

I was kind of expecting a different colour for the King Cole but that’s what I get for ordering without a picture but I’m in love with everything else! Especially the Lana Grossa because I hadn’t realised that I’d ordered it so it was a nice surprise. I’ve already started on my first pair of Jaywalkers using it. Hopefully it will be enough for both socks.

Well, I haven’t got anything new for now. I’ve just got back from my travels and I’m tired but I’m still making stuff. Now I’ve moved onto crocheting. I’m making the Short ‘n Sweet bolero from the Stitch ‘n Bitch Happy Hooker book out of some Bernat handicrafter cotton. I’ve made a few mistakes so far – I completed the back before attaching the fronts and then realised that you’re only supposed to go to the underarm so I frogged. So far I have completed the top section of the back and the front right section and here’s a progress pic: