September 2008


I love being at home and actually having time to knit. I borrowed a few knitting books from the library the other day so I’m planning to knit a few items from them – the Log Cabin Socks (Ravelry link) from Handknit Holidays and the Reversible Cabled-Rib Shawl (Ravelry link) from Vogue Knitting American Collection. I’ve been wanting to knit a shawl of some sort for a while now but I don’t think I have the patience and I’m not committed enough either. There’s a reason why I’ve never finished a knitted sweater. I also have a case of second sock syndrome.

I did manage to complete this pair of socks but I had to force myself to complete the second one. The first one flew off the needles. The pattern is Spring Forward from Knitty and it is so easy considering the final product. Every other row is stockinette and the rest is just a few decreases and yarnovers. I didn’t think it could be so simple. I really like how they came out except one is a little smaller than the other. I haven’t blocked yet so maybe that will help even things out. The yarn is from Tanis Fiber Arts in the Mallard colourway and I absolutely love it. It’s made of 80% superwash merino, 20% nylon so it’s warm, soft, durable and so so so cosy! The colours are amazing as well. I’m definitely going to get more of this yarn.

The colour is more similar to real life in the ones with the coloured backgrounds.

I was flicking through a magazine recently and I came across this really amazing jacket made with a geometric print fabric. The print was so cool that I just had to attempt to recreate it and so I created my first ever knitting chart using Excel (there are loads of tutorials on the internet). I’m so pleased with how it turned out and I’ve already knitted up a swatch for it using some leftover acrylic yarn. I think that I’ll use the print for a pillow or something like that.

And for anyone wanting to use the pattern, I converted it into pdf format for you to download.

Geometric print chart

And in crocheting news, I made the Pretty Puffs Slouchy Hat from Crafty Pants which I had been wanting to make for ages. I didn’t realise that the top was just plain double crochet from looking at the photos on Ravelry but it’s a really pretty hat and it’s very easy to make too. I added an extra row of puff stitches to make the hat a little more slouchy and I like how it turned out. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease in a cream colour (it might be Fisherman) with a J hook(6mm).

I haven’t posted on here for over three months. Whoops. I haven’t been doing much knitting as I’ve been travelling a lot so I really wasn’t able to do much. As soon as I got back home though, I immediately cast on several new projects and now I have a lot of WIPs.

First up is an FO. ‘Le Slouch’ by Knit and Tonic is a really simple pattern for a great-looking hat. I used the tubular cast-on for this hat and I really need some practice with it because it didn’t turn out to be stretchy but it looks really good. I made the moss stitch version of the hat and I really recommend the pattern. The yarn is Bernat Shine in Crimson leftover from a scarf I made last year. Unfortunately, I only have one side picture of it but it’s a really basic slouchy hat so I’m sure you get the idea.

The Star Crossed Slouchy Beret (ravelry link) is a great pattern and I love my new hat! It’s an extremely slouchy hat with pretty random cables and I absolutely love it. I just love slouchy hats. The needles are 8mm (US 11) so it knits up really quickly as well, always a bonus! I knitted it up with Diamond Luxury Alpaca Peru, which is really, really amazing yarn – it’s so soft and so so warm. The colour is a very bright teal so I can’t help but think that maybe it would be better suited for a cowl. But for now it’s staying as a lovely hat.

Next up is the 105-9 jacket with lace pattern and raglan sleeve from Drops, which looks very similar to Juliet from Zephyr Style. I begun this a few days ago with Bernat Soy Blend in Seasalt and I’m really happy with the yarn. It’s really soft and smooth, however, there are loads of knots in it. In the first ball of yarn, I had at least three knots and one in the second. It’s a real shame because otherwise it’s very nice. The pattern is simple although it took me a while to understand it as it is my first time reading a pattern set out like that. I’m not sure if I like it enough to wear it so it’s going into hibernation before I decide whether to rip out and do a raglan U-neck cardigan or to carry on.

And finally, I have a project which is probably going to take me a lifetime. It’s a crocheted afghan being made from all my acrylic scraps. I saw this one on Craftster and knew I had to have one. It’s just made of a lot of crocheted hexagons, all joined with black yarn. So far I only have 15 hexagons, so I’m probably only 10% done or something. I’m really enjoying this afghan though and it’s fun to think up all the colour combinations.