crochet


I was flicking through a magazine recently and I came across this really amazing jacket made with a geometric print fabric. The print was so cool that I just had to attempt to recreate it and so I created my first ever knitting chart using Excel (there are loads of tutorials on the internet). I’m so pleased with how it turned out and I’ve already knitted up a swatch for it using some leftover acrylic yarn. I think that I’ll use the print for a pillow or something like that.

And for anyone wanting to use the pattern, I converted it into pdf format for you to download.

Geometric print chart

And in crocheting news, I made the Pretty Puffs Slouchy Hat from Crafty Pants which I had been wanting to make for ages. I didn’t realise that the top was just plain double crochet from looking at the photos on Ravelry but it’s a really pretty hat and it’s very easy to make too. I added an extra row of puff stitches to make the hat a little more slouchy and I like how it turned out. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease in a cream colour (it might be Fisherman) with a J hook(6mm).

Advertisements

I haven’t posted on here for over three months. Whoops. I haven’t been doing much knitting as I’ve been travelling a lot so I really wasn’t able to do much. As soon as I got back home though, I immediately cast on several new projects and now I have a lot of WIPs.

First up is an FO. ‘Le Slouch’ by Knit and Tonic is a really simple pattern for a great-looking hat. I used the tubular cast-on for this hat and I really need some practice with it because it didn’t turn out to be stretchy but it looks really good. I made the moss stitch version of the hat and I really recommend the pattern. The yarn is Bernat Shine in Crimson leftover from a scarf I made last year. Unfortunately, I only have one side picture of it but it’s a really basic slouchy hat so I’m sure you get the idea.

The Star Crossed Slouchy Beret (ravelry link) is a great pattern and I love my new hat! It’s an extremely slouchy hat with pretty random cables and I absolutely love it. I just love slouchy hats. The needles are 8mm (US 11) so it knits up really quickly as well, always a bonus! I knitted it up with Diamond Luxury Alpaca Peru, which is really, really amazing yarn – it’s so soft and so so warm. The colour is a very bright teal so I can’t help but think that maybe it would be better suited for a cowl. But for now it’s staying as a lovely hat.

Next up is the 105-9 jacket with lace pattern and raglan sleeve from Drops, which looks very similar to Juliet from Zephyr Style. I begun this a few days ago with Bernat Soy Blend in Seasalt and I’m really happy with the yarn. It’s really soft and smooth, however, there are loads of knots in it. In the first ball of yarn, I had at least three knots and one in the second. It’s a real shame because otherwise it’s very nice. The pattern is simple although it took me a while to understand it as it is my first time reading a pattern set out like that. I’m not sure if I like it enough to wear it so it’s going into hibernation before I decide whether to rip out and do a raglan U-neck cardigan or to carry on.

And finally, I have a project which is probably going to take me a lifetime. It’s a crocheted afghan being made from all my acrylic scraps. I saw this one on Craftster and knew I had to have one. It’s just made of a lot of crocheted hexagons, all joined with black yarn. So far I only have 15 hexagons, so I’m probably only 10% done or something. I’m really enjoying this afghan though and it’s fun to think up all the colour combinations.

Yay! I have finally finished a few of my projects even though it seems I never finish any of them. Anyway, onto the pictures…


This is the Short ‘n Sweet from The Happy Hooker and I made it using a 400g/14oz skein (approx 655m/710yds) of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton in Baby Blue (100% cotton) and I still have about half of it left. I made it exactly as the pattern said except I shortened the sleeves by four rows. I do like it but the cotton was cheap so it’s not that comfortable and it’s heavy. The whole thing took me about three days although I haven’t blocked it yet.If I made it again I’d use something much softer and lighter like acrylic – maybe Caron Simply Soft. Also, I’d use a stronger colour. All the best Short ‘n Sweets that I’ve seen posted on Craftster are in strong colours. Anyway, I recommend the pattern!

Next is my very first pair of socks. I didn’t have any fingering weight yarn so I used two skeins of Bernat Natural Blends Cashmere (65% acrylic, 30% nylon, 5% cashmere; 94m/103yds per 60g skein). I think they came out quite well and although they’re too bulky to wear with shoes, they’re really comfortable so I can wear them around the house. I used the Easy Worsted Socks pattern (pdf) and I’m very pleased with them although the ribbing is too loose so they refuse to stay up.

 

And last, but not least, my Saturday Market Bag using the alterations from Disdressed. I used Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (100% cotton; 73m/80yds per 50g skein) in Ivory and I think I used about one and a half skeins. The pattern is very easy and is a really fast knit so I definitely recommend it. The bag is wonderfully stretchy and fits loads in it!

Well, I haven’t got anything new for now. I’ve just got back from my travels and I’m tired but I’m still making stuff. Now I’ve moved onto crocheting. I’m making the Short ‘n Sweet bolero from the Stitch ‘n Bitch Happy Hooker book out of some Bernat handicrafter cotton. I’ve made a few mistakes so far – I completed the back before attaching the fronts and then realised that you’re only supposed to go to the underarm so I frogged. So far I have completed the top section of the back and the front right section and here’s a progress pic: